Find Darryl on Mastodon
- Predicting the end of their sentences may seem to be useful, but some AAC users don’t like you doing so, where others don’t mind.
- After the person is finish communicating, repeat back to them what you understood.
- Don’t presume they don’t mind you watching what they are typing on their AAC device, even though they may be talking directly with you.
- Wait before you respond, allow the person to finish what they are communicating.
- If you are guessing what the person is communicating, check back with them if you have guessed correctly.
- Silence should not be feared.
- Discover how the person communicates, ‘yes’ and ‘no’.
- Tell the person, if you don’t understand something that they have said.
- Discover other methods of communication the person may use.
- Never pretend you have understood what they are saying when you haven’t.